The Japan Center for Michigan Universities (JCMU), a unique living/learning center in Hikone, Shiga Prefecture, Japan, is committed to providing residential programs that allow students to create meaningful intercultural experiences while participating in academic studies of the highest caliber. JCMU seeks applicants for a one year (12 months) student services fellowship program in Japan.
Basic Function: The JCMU Student Services Fellowship (SSF) is a full-time live-in position at JCMU in Hikone, Japan. The SSF works to establish inclusive communities that foster student success. This includes supporting students’ academic achievement; supporting students with the unique challenges and opportunities associated with adapting to a new country, culture, and language; serving in an on-call/emergency response capacity; and actively engaging with the JCMU community. The SSF will support the JCMU Resident Director (RD) and Student Services Coordinator (SSC) to supervise the residence hall; the planning, implementation, and evaluation of a comprehensive community; and student development initiatives for a residential community of 40 to 50 undergraduate and/or graduate students per term. The SSF is also expected to teach a one-credit course focused on student success each semester.
- Graduate degree from an accredited Student Services Master’s program
- Previous residence hall work experience or related student affairs experience
- Excellent English language verbal and written communication skills
- Skills in the areas of critical thinking, team building, and leadership
- Japan-focused experience is not required, but study abroad or other international experience is preferred
- Prior study of a foreign language or non-native language at the university level is preferred
Dates: August 2019-August 2020. Appointment may be extended for a second year.
- $1,500 monthly maintenance allowance
- Rent-free housing at JCMU, which will include basic furniture, appliances, and utensils
- Japanese National Health Insurance premium
- Round-trip air transportation to and from Japan
- Discounted meals at Coco’s Restaurant, located in the JCMU building
- Applications should include a cover letter, resume and contact information for two academic/professional references
- Email applications to Kate Simon, JCMU Program Director (email@example.com) with “JCMU SSF Application” in the subject line
- Applications are due by 12:00PM US EDT on Sunday, May 19, 2019
More Information: Learn more about JCMU on their website, blog, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. You can also contact Program Director Kate Simon by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (517-355-4654) for more information.