Contest Period: The Contest starts on April 11, 2017 at 10:00 AM Eastern Daylight Savings Time (“EDT”) and ends May 22, 2017 at 11:59 PM EDT (the “Contest Period”). Participants can enter the contest at any point during the Contest, and will receive equal consideration to other submissions. Early and late submissions will not be considered.
How to Enter: No purchase necessary and no entry fee, payment, or proof-of-purchase is necessary to participate. During the Contest Period, you can enter the Contest by one or all of the following methods of entry:
1. Via Facebook (contest site entry): To enter via Facebook on desktop devices, access the “Mascot Contest” tab on the Japan Center for Michigan Universities’ Facebook page located at https://www.facebook.com/JapanCenter/ (the “Contest Site”) and follow the instructions to complete the entry form and upload your Submission to the Contest Site. When accessing on mobile devices, the Contest Site may load under the URL woobox.com/oo4pm4 – this is the same contest page as the one located on Facebook. Your Submission must include a Design Caption in addition to completing the entry form. You must complete and submit the entry form as instructed to be eligible. Once you complete the entry form and upload your Submission, your submission will be reviewed and considered following the conclusion of the Contest.
2. Via Facebook (hashtag entry): Entry on Facebook using the hashtag “MyJCMUMascot” (the “Facebook Hashtag”) is also permitted. Entrants can post a Design on Facebook that complies with the Submission Requirements mention herein these Official Rules with the Facebook Hashtag and mention @Japan_Center. If entering by Facebook, you must make the post public and keep your profile public during the Contest Period. Use of the Facebook Hashtag constitutes your unconditional acceptance of these Official Rules. All Facebook posts must contain a Design Caption. Once you upload your Submission to Facebook using the Facebook Hashtag, your submission will be reviewed and considered following the conclusion of the Contest. All of the Facebook Hashtag must be included with a Submission in order for that Submission to be eligible for entry in the Contest.
3. Via Twitter: To enter via Twitter, tweet a Design that complies with the Submission Requirements mention herein these Official Rules with the hashtag #MyJCMUMascot (the “Twitter Hashtag”) and mention @Japan_Center. If entering by Twitter, you must keep your profile public during the Contest Period. Use of the Twitter Hashtag constitutes your unconditional acceptance of these Official Rules. All tweets must contain a Design Caption. Once you upload your Submission to Twitter using the Twitter Hashtag, your submission will be reviewed and considered following the conclusion of the Contest. All of the Twitter Hashtag must be included with a Submission in order for that Submission to be eligible for entry in the Contest.
4. Via Instagram: To enter via Instagram, post a Design that complies with the Submission Requirements mentioned herein these Official Rules with the hashtag #MyJCMUMascot (the “Instagram Hashtag”). If entering by Instagram, you must keep your profile public during the Contest Period. Any Design tagged with the Instagram Hashtag and includes a Design Caption on Instagram may be eligible for the Contest. Once you upload your Submission to Instagram using the Instagram Hashtag, your submission will be reviewed and considered following the conclusion of the Contest. Your Submission must include the Instagram Hashtag in order to be eligible. By using the Instagram Hashtag in connection with your Instagram post, you are acknowledging and agreeing that Sponsor has the right to stream your post through the Instagram API or otherwise use your post as set forth in its online Terms and Conditions.
All elements (i.e., Design, entry form, personal information, Hashtag #MyJCMUMascot, Design Caption, and/or description) of your entry (regardless of method of entry) are collectively referred to herein as the “Submission” or “Entry”. Once you enter your Submission, your entry is considered final and may not be modified. Only Submissions entered via any of the aforementioned methods of entry will be accepted.
By entering your Submission, you acknowledge and agree that Sponsor may receive many Submissions in this Contest and that such other Submissions may be similar or identical in theme, idea, format or other respects to your Submission and you waive any and all claims you may have had, may have, and/or may have in the future that any Submission (including but not limited to: any caption, Design and/or ideas) accepted, reviewed and/or used by the Sponsor, the Judges, their affiliates, or their respective officers, directors, employees and agents may be similar to or the same as your Entry. By entering a Submission, you understand and agree that the Sponsor has no obligation to publish your content. Contestants acknowledge and agree that the Sponsor, Judges, their affiliates, and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents do not have now, nor shall any of them have in the future, any duty or liability, direct or indirect, vicarious, contributory, or otherwise, with respect to the non-infringement or protection of any copyright, trademark, patent, or any other claimed right or interest in and to Contestant’s Submission. By entering a Submission, each Contestant agrees that he or she has no right to bring (and covenants not to bring) any claim, action, or proceeding of any kind or nature whatsoever relating to the Contest or the Submission against the Sponsor, the Judges, their affiliates, and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents, and any individual or company involved in the development or execution of this Contest.
Limit: Entrants may submit one (1) Design entry per previously stated entry methods [one (1) for Facebook (contest page entry), one (1) for Facebook (hashtag entry), one (1) for Instagram and one (1) for Twitter] for a total of four (4) entries provided a new design is used for each entry for each social media submission. Any attempt to abuse or manipulate entries may result in disqualification at Sponsor’s sole discretion.
Submission requirements: Regardless of the method of entry, each Submission must comply with the following content guidelines to be eligible and must meet these “Submission Requirements”. Submissions must:
1) Be an original design, with a clear connection to the Sponsor;
2) Contain a Design Caption describing the design’s content and story behind the Design (i.e., why the design fits the Japan Center for Michigan Universities, etc.)
3) Be the original creation of the entrant and solely owned by entrant;
4) Not have been previously published
5) In addition, Design must not include any unauthorized third party intellectual property, general property or products.
Additionally, a Submission cannot defame or invade publicity and/or intellectual property rights or the privacy of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any copyrighted, trademarked, or patented works or person’s personal or proprietary rights. Design may also not contain, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, any content that is sexually explicit or suggestive, violent or derogatory, profane or pornographic, or contain nudity; promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or use of any of the foregoing); promotes any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous; promotes any particular political agenda or message; is obscene or offensive; endorses any form of hate or hate group; defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about Sponsor, other companies or people; contains prominent use of trademarks, logos or trade dress owned by others as determined by Sponsor or advertise or promote any organization/company unaffiliated with the Sponsor; contains any personal identification (other than as provided on the entry form); contains materials embodying the names, likenesses, or other indicia identifying any person, including, without limitation, celebrities and/or other public or private figures, living or dead, without permission; communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or goodwill to which Sponsor wishes to associate; and/or violates any law. Designs deemed by the Sponsor, in their sole discretion, to be immoral, profane or not in keeping with Sponsor’s image or in violation of these Official Rules will be void. In the event of non-compliance with any requirements specified herein or with any of the terms of these Official Rules or the Contest, Design will be void. Modification of an existing work does not qualify as original.
The name of the “authorized account holder” associated with any given email address will be deemed to be the entrant and must comply with these Official Rules. The authorized account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, an online service provider, or another organization that is responsible for assigning email addresses or the domain associated with the submitted email address. Proof (to Released Parties satisfaction) of being the authorized account holder may be required by Released Parties. Released Parties are not responsible for lost, incomplete, late, damaged, garbled, undelivered, inaccurate or misdirected entries, Designs or descriptions; failures or malfunctions of phones, phone lines or telephone systems or other communications malfunctions; interrupted or unavailable network, Internet Service Provider (ISP), cable, satellite, server or other connections; miscommunications, failed computer hardware or software or other technical failures; garbled, lost, misrouted or scrambled transmissions; any error, omission, interruption, defect or delay in any transmission or communication; traffic congestion on the Internet or for any technical problem, including but not limited to any injury or damage to entrant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation in this Contest; printing, typographical or other errors appearing within these Official Rules or in any Contest related advertisements or other materials; or other errors or problems of any kind whether mechanical, human, technical, electronic or otherwise, including, without limitation, errors that may occur in connection with the administration of this Contest, the processing of entries, the announcement of the prizes, or in any other Contest-related materials. The use of automated entry or similar devices as specifically set forth above is prohibited and entries through such prohibited devices are void. By entering this Contest, entrants give their express permission to be contacted by Sponsor by telephone, email and/or postal mail for promotional purposes only.
Winner determination: All eligible entries received during the Contest Period will be judged by a panel of representatives of the Sponsor (“Panel” or “Judge(s)”). The Panel will score each eligible entry based on the following judging criteria (collectively, “Judging Criteria”), each given equal weight:
• How original/creative is the entry?
• How the Design Caption relates to the Design based on relevancy to the Design, originality and overall impact?
• How is the clarity of Design/ technical execution?
• What is the overall impression of the entry?
Sponsor may tentatively select a winner contingent upon certain alterations to the design as deemed necessary by the Sponsor. If such alterations are made and deemed acceptable by the Sponsor within ten (10) days of original notice, then they will be declared a winner. If any required information is not returned within the number of days specified in the notification correspondence, or if any notification is returned as undeliverable, then the prize may be forfeited and, at Sponsor’s discretion, the next potential winner will be selected and notified.
Contest prize: Based on the criteria outlined above, one (1) Grand Prize winner and one (1) Runner-Up Prize winner will be selected based on Judging Criteria within twenty-eight (28) days following the conclusion of the Contest. Except in the case of disqualification or fraud, Sponsor decisions shall be final and binding. Sponsor reserves the right not to award prizes if, in its sole discretion, it does not receive a sufficient number of eligible and qualified Submissions. Limit one (1) prize per person, Facebook account, Instagram account, Twitter account, email address, family and/or household for the duration of the Contest Period. Odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries received.
Sponsor will attempt to notify each potential winner via direct message to their social media account and/or email that was provided at time of entry. The potential winner must then contact Sponsor using the contact information provided in the notification correspondence within ten (10) days of notification. Potential prize winners are subject to eligibility verification and compliance with these Official Rules. If any required information is not returned within the number of days specified in the notification correspondence, or if any notification is returned as undeliverable, then the prize may be forfeited and, at Sponsor’s discretion, the next potential winner will be selected and notified.
• Grand Prize – One (1) custom 16” plush creation of the winning Submission and one (1) JCMU t-shirt. The Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of the Grand Prize is $100 (the “Grand Prize”).
• Runner-Up Prize – One (1) JCMU t-shirt. The ARV of the Runner-Up Prize is $10 (the “Runner-Up Prize”)
The total ARV for all prizes is $110 (the “prizes”). Prizes are non-transferable. No cash alternative or prize substitutions allowed, except Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to substitute a prize of equal or greater value if advertised prize becomes unavailable. Prizes may not be sold, bartered, or exchanged by winners. All details of any prize not specified herein shall be determined solely by Sponsor. Prizes will be fulfilled within 20-30 weeks following the end of the Contest Period.
Conditions: All federal, state, and local taxes and all other costs and expenses associated with acceptance and use of a prize not specified herein as being awarded is the recipients’ sole responsibility. Non-compliance with any of the foregoing or with these Official Rules may result in disqualification and awarding of prize to an alternate winner, at Sponsor’s discretion. If any prize notification is returned as undeliverable, the potential winner cannot be contacted within a reasonable time period, does not reply to correspondence within ten (10) days following date of attempted notification, or fails to comply with verification process and/or eligibility requirements, that potential winner may be disqualified and, at Sponsor’s discretion, a runner-up winner may be notified. By participating, each entrant and winner agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding, and 1) Attest that their Design is his/her/their original, personal creation and that it meets all eligibility requirements, Submission Requirements and conditions set forth herein; and 2) Understand that their Design may be selected for potential use in future advertising and/or promotional materials and further understand that the use of their Design in potential advertising and/or Contest efforts does not convey any status of any kind with respect to the Contest such as, but not limited to, selection as the winning entry in the Contest or being a potential winner; and 3) Agree that entrants will retain ownership of his/her Design; however, by entering the Contest, and to the extent allowed by law, entrants grant Released Parties and their designees a non-exclusive, non-revocable, perpetual, sublicensable, royalty-free license to use Design and that Released Parties and their designees shall have: a) The perpetual, worldwide right to edit, publish, exploit and use any Design (or any portion thereof) in any way and in any media for advertising and/or trade purposes and/or for any other purpose in any media or format, online or offline, now or hereafter known without further compensation, permission or notification from/to entrant or any third party; b) The right and permission (unless prohibited by law) to use entrant’s name, voice, city/state of residence, Design and/or other likeness for advertising, trade and/or for any other purpose in any media or format now or hereafter known without further compensation, permission or notification, entrant hereby representing that use of any of the foregoing materials shall not violate the rights of any third parties and shall not violate any applicable federal, state or local laws or ordinances; c) The right to disqualify any Designs that Sponsor deems to be obscene or otherwise not in good taste; and d) No liability on account of, and entrant will defend, indemnify and hold harmless Released Parties from and against, any liability, loss, injury or damage of any kind (including attorney’s fees) to any person or entity including, without limitation, personal injury, death or damage to personal or real property, due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, by reason of the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of the prize, participation in this Contest, or use of any entry-related materials. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to modify the Official Rules, suspend, and/or terminate this Contest should virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness or proper play of the Contest.
Arbitration: Except where prohibited by law, as a condition of participating in this Contest, participant agrees that (1) any and all disputes and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, or prize(s) awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by final and binding arbitration under the rules of the American Arbitration Association and held at the AAA regional office nearest the participant; (2) the Federal Arbitration Act shall govern the interpretation, enforcement and all proceedings at such arbitration; and (3) judgment upon such arbitration award may be entered in any court having jurisdiction. Under no circumstances will participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and participant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorneys’ fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e., costs associated with participating in this Contest), and participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
Choice of law: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the substantive laws of the State of Michigan.
Winners list: For a list of winners (available after 7/15/17), visit https://jcmuofficialblog.com/jcmu-mascot-design-contest-winners/.
Sponsor: Japan Center for Michigan Universities, 427 N Shaw Lane, MSU International Center Room 110, East Lansing, MI 48824, United States of America
- https://www.facebook.com/JapanCenter/から、ミシガン州立大学連合日本センターのフェイスブックの”Contest Site”タブにアクセスし、そこに書かれている指示に従って応募して下さい。
制限：応募に際し、１つ１つの異なったデザインにつき、１つずつの異なったソーシャルメディアアカウント[(1) Contest page １回, (1) Facebook hashtag１回、(1) Instagram １回、(1) Twitter 1回]を使用して下さい。つまり、合計4つの異なった新しいデザインの応募作品が4つの異なったソーシャルメディアにひとつずつ投稿できるということです。応募に際し、不正行為があった場合は、受け付けません。
受賞者発表：受賞者は、２０１７年７月15日 以降、 https://jcmuofficialblog.com/jcmu-mascot-design-contest-winners/ で発表します。