If you study abroad with JCMU, you can participate in a wide array of activities at our campus and in the Shiga area! To showcase just how much you can do in Hikone, our Student Services Coordinator, Yasuhiko Harada, created a list of events/activities that students participated in this last April.
With April being the last month of the spring and academic year programs, much of the focus on JCMU’s campus is on academics. However, there’s still a bunch to do outside of class in and around Hikone! From beautiful festivals to special manga exhibits, students had plenty of opportunities to immerse themselves in the local Japanese community.
Events at JCMU
Meeting with ALTs
– 3 ALTs from Shiga will come to JCMU to speak about their experiences working in Japan
Weekly Japanese exams
Individual sessions with Japanese instructors
– In preparation for final Japanese presentations
JCMU English program starts
– For Japanese community members looking to learn English
Japanese program evaluations
Japanese final oral presentation
Last day of Japanese program evaluations
Japanese final written exams
Prince and Princess Party
– English program for family and kids open to all community members and JCMU students
Closing ceremony rehearsal
JCMU spring semester program closing ceremy
Final grade distribution
Spring students depart from JCMU
– Have a safe trip! Bon voyage!
Events in the Hikone/Shiga Area
Zen practice at Chochoin Soto Zen Temple
– Free admission!
April 1st – 2nd
Ryotanji Temple Daruma Festival
– Admission fee: 400 yen
– So, so, so, soooo many darumas will be at this festival!
March 26th to April 9
Until April 11
Special exhibition of the work of Naosuke Ii at the Hikone Castle Museum
Hikone Farmers Market at Shiga Gokoku Shinto Shrine
March 22 to April 16
April 1st to April 16th
Miidera Temple Cherry Blossom Season
– Onjoji Temple/Miidera Temple is a really famous temple. There is a beautiful pagoda that you can see while you’re there.
April 9th to April 16th
Nagahama Hikiyama Festival
– Experience kabuki, as performed by children!
Until April 19
Pieris japonica Tree Exhibition at Daitsuji Temple
March 25th to April 20th
April 1st – 20th
Hikone Castle Cherry Blossom Festival
– Free admission
– You MUST see it! It is just stunningly beautiful. You can visit both in day and night time. In the night time, the cherry trees will be lit up.
April 15th to April 30th
Making Koinobori at Biwako Museum in Kusatsu
– Biwako Museum is a large nature museum in Kusatsu. There is a botanical garden and even an aquarium there!
April 28th to April 30th
La Folle Journee de Biwako 2017 at Biwako Hall
– Classical music concert series at Biwako Hall
From the end of March
From the end of March to early May
Hikone Castle Town Prosperous Market
– Special Ohmi beef, boiled fish from Lake Biwa, Japanese sweets, pickles, Hikonyan (Hikone Castle kitty mascot) goods, and more are sold at this market. They are all “Made in Hikone” products.
Until May 8th
Saimyoji Temple pagoda opening
Until May 14th
Kyoto International Manga Museum
– Special Exhibition: “Drawing!” Manga Exhibition – Approach to the drawing technique: Line, frame, frame and character
April 8th to May 20th
Hokkoku Kaido: Historical Ando Family House special exhibition
– Korantei (small house) on display
– Admission is 400 yen
– The Ando family’s house was built between the Meiji and Taisho periods. As you can see on their webpage, there are historical gardens, well-designed old-style rooms, and more that you can witness there!
April 11th to May 21st
March 18 to December 10th